NATED archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

melanie thorley - new member to the forum

2 posters

Go down

melanie thorley - new member to the forum Empty melanie thorley - new member to the forum

Post  melanie thorley Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 am

dear colleagues

apologies if this message is of no interest/relevance to you.

I have signed up for this forum as I work with pre- and post-entry to university for disabled students - including students who are Deaf or hard of hearing. we have a fledgeling website - under my electronic signature - which gives a few details of what we do and why we do it. I work with an extraordinary Deaf ambassador who works alongside me and has had the opportunity to co-present at a number of conferences and staff training.

in addition to my widening participation work, I am also a professional, qualified scribe/notetaker and one of the first to sign up for our professional body - the Association for Noetaking Professionals - ANP. I am also a doctoral student assessing the experiences of D/deaf students who have been supported by notetakers at some point in their university studies. the research came about as a response to the number of D/deaf students who have inadequate and/or non existent notetaking support. I have been working with a small group of D/deaf students who have acted as co-researchers for the study as I do not regard myself as an expert in this area.

apologies if this introduction is too long but I thought it would be a good idea, and courteous to let you know why I have signed up. anything which benefits the students and ambassadors I work with, will be very welcome.

thank you for your time
regards
melanie

Melanie Thorley
*AccessAbility Project Co-ordinator
AWPU - University of Greenwich and Aspire - SE London Aimhigher
P317
University of Greenwich at Medway
Central Avenue
Chatham
Kent
ME4 4TB

01634 883072 (tuesdays only)
07931 226599

m.thorley@gre.ac.uk

www.gre.ac.uk/aap

www.aspire-aimhigher.ac.uk

melanie thorley

Back to top Go down

melanie thorley - new member to the forum Empty welcome

Post  nicolarichards Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:32 am

Hi Melenie
You are very welcome on the NATED forum. Will you be able to attend our annual conference on Sat 22nd May? Details can be found on the 'News' & 'Events' areas on the NATED website. Are you also a member of CHESS (Consortium of Higher Education Support Services with deaf and hearing impaired students)?
Nicky
NATED Committee member

nicolarichards

Back to top Go down